Although our main work requires fluent Hungarian knowledge, from time to time we have volunteering opportunities for foreigners. Are you socially responsible and have some free time? We are happy if you contact us!
English Club at Bagazs Community Centre
Live in Hungary and would like to know more about local social issues?
Like kids and/or great conversations?
Have a sense of responsibility for the community around you?
Native or highly fluent English speaker?
Bagázs English Club is waiting for you!
Duration of the program: mid-March to mid-June, 2019
Location of the program: BAGázs Community Centre, Szent István park 10., 1137 Budapest
Dates of the training: 9-10 March, 2019 in the Community Centre + an optional visit to one of the Roma settlements where BAGázs works
Application deadline: 28 February, 2019
Details of the program
BAGázs English Club is one of the first services we offer to Budapest-based families for a fare, the whole of which supports our work in Roma settlements. The English Club will operate in three groups with the participation of native English speaker volunteers. The three groups will include 6-10 years old children, 11- 14 years old children, and new mums for whom we also offer babysitting for the club sessions’ duration.
The volunteers will lead weekly sessions of thematic English conversation for the participants according to each groups’ interests, needs and level of English. Themes will cover social responsibility, volunteering and inclusion. The 3-month-long term will be finished with an integrated activity with children or grown-ups from the settlements, organized by the club’s participants in Budapest, Bag or Dány.
The goal of the program is the development of English-speaking skills of the participants, as well as the increase of their social sensitivity and sense of responsibility.
What we offer:
- cooperation with one of the most successful NGOs working for Roma inclusion in Hungary;
- professional training on methodological and theoretical questions connected to the program;
- regular supervision;
- building meaningful and educative new connections with locals (participants and people from the settlements) and a great team of BAGázs-volunteers and colleagues;
- development of English-teaching, group leading, project management and community building
What you have to take on:
- participation in the entire training and an introductory meeting with potential participants in the following week (sometime between 11-14 March);
- preparation for every session, together with fellow volunteers (60-90 mins/week);
- leading one session per week, together with fellow volunteers (50-90 mins/week);
- commitment for the whole duration of the program, until mid-June, 2019
How to apply?
Please send your CV and your answers to the following questions to . To the subject please write: “English Club volunteer”.
1) Please sum up in one or two sentences why you’d like to volunteer in BAGázs English Club!
2) What are your skills and characteristics that would make you a great volunteer of the program?
3) What are your dilemmas, worries, questions about the task?
4) What are your expectations in terms of personal development you could gain from the program?